Sunday 20 November 2016

Life this week

I'm having a funny kind of Sunday really. I have a very busy December coming up so  I need to relax and rest so I go in to it rested. But I also need to get a load of stuff done in advance so I don't have to stress about doing it while I'm jetting all over the place. Tricky balance. Not sure I've got it right so far today but come 3pm, its relaxing time!

I spent this morning trying to find a desk for my office. More stressful than it sounds. My husband is very keen that we have somewhere safe to lock up our papers now we have people coming and going in the flat more (a cleaner, dog walkers, etc) so I have some pretty precise specifications. It seems there are very few desks with lockable filing cabinet drawers. So I am having to get a separate filing cabinet and then a simple desk it can go under. Cue lots of stress about measurements and such. Not resolved, but I've emailed about a couple of options.

Looks like we're only going to have one two drawer cabinet so we are going to need to cull some papers. This was one element of Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up which I really couldn't get on board with when I did it in January. She basically says get rid of all your papers. I come from the opposite school of thought; I'm a responsible, organised adult and I hate the idea I might run in to trouble resolving an issue in the future because I didn't keep a specific piece of paper. So I sort of skipped that bit of the book and did a bit of clearing out papers but not much.

Turns out she has won out. Necessity of keeping all our files locked up will mean I am going to have to start being the kind of person who turns all her bank statements to online only...

I'm also turning my mind to our Christmas cards for this year. This is one of the things I really need to get sorted before December so I don't have to worry about it while I'm busy. I always struggle with Christmas cards. I spend ages looking for the perfect ones and end up having to just get whatever I find in the end. We used to do photos of us with merry christmas written on and I am going to revive that tradition this year, especially fun since we now have a dog. So the Christmas decorations have been pulled out and we're preparing for some santa hat fun later on today.

Other things I've been up to this week include planning a trip to Lisbon in March with two of my old school friends, Julia and Kathy. This isn't something I do often but I'm looking forward to a weekend away. Lisbon is super cheap and we've got flights and accommodation for around £120 each, all-in.

That's all from me. How's your December looking? Busy or relaxed?

No comments:

Post a Comment